Friday, February 28, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Bread

I had a young chef in the kitchen this afternoon helping make pumpkin spice bread. 

It was a box mix, but she still cracked the eggs measured oil, and water.

Greasing the pans was kind of messy.

But then we put them in three little loaf pans and baked them.

They were so good we ate one whole loaf when it came out.  The other two we saved for later. On for Mommy and Daddy, the other for Nana and Papa.

Monday, February 17, 2014

A Terrible Accident

Just before this storm hit the tempuratures tarted dropping. I noticed the horses laying down in the sun to stay warm. Toward the early evening Andy noticed that Sadie was struggling to get up. She could not get up.  We went out and found she was chilled.  She was not able to put any weight on the left rear leg.  We called out friendly vet tech friend Kim for advice.  She had us move her into the barn and put heat lamps and blankets on her. We got her hydrated, but could not get her up.  When Kim arrived she confirmed that the fetlock joint was indeed broken. She aligned the leg and splinted it, and we started treating for bloat.  We got her up in a sling arrangement with the tractor. 

The next morning we took the sling off and she stayed up for 24 hours before lying back down. 

After resting she tried to get up again with no success. So we used the tractor to get her up again. 

This time Andy and I supported her hind end and walked her in the pony barn. 

We put one stall mat in place and tried to move her to put the other one down. At that point I think se was tired and wanted to sit and took the opportunity to do so.

The next morning Kim and Jeff came over and re-splinted her. We got her up again, eating, drinking, pooping, peeing.  Bloat was not so bad this time. 

We discussed the next splint and how to fashion it, and this morning Papa John went out in search of the materials to fabricate it.  

He bent it to match her current contour. 

And padded it and wrapped her up. 

As she heals we will straighten the bend so that it slowly gets flexed back to it's previous position. So much improvement already!


We'd been wishing for some, and boy did we get it. As I write this today it is still on the ground. 

Babies, Babies, and More Babies

Babies continued to pop out, until now we are bottle feeding 15. We have a couple more does that are bred, but it may be weeks before we have more. 

Holly is an old hand this year.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Babies on the farm

Babies are popping out everywhere. We're up to 10 on the farm as of the last 48 hours.  More are expected and we have one in the maternity stall, thinking she'll be next. Some other doe could prove me wrong however and I could have a surprise waiting for me.

Last night Cheyenne had a boy and a girl, and we named them Thomas and Miranda. 

I took this picture when they were still wet and Mama Cheyenne was cleaning them up. Miranda is on the left and bigger boy Thomas is on the right. 

I'll post more baby pictures this weekend when we get caught up.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Another Cabinet Makeover

In my never ending battle to organize, I got another lower cabinet done!

Next up, under the sink!

Then I'll be detailing cabinets on the outside. 

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Milk room improvements

This weekend I did spring cleaning in the milk parlor.

I put the farmer to work building me a shelf for supplemental feeds.

AND he built a ramp.  So much easier for the big goats. 

They walk right up!